St John De Britto Adhyapak Vidyalaya, Manickpur
To improve the educational status of people in Vasai and its neighbouring areas, St John De Britto Adhyapak Vidyalay was started in the year 1943. The institution is run by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), a religious congregation internationally known for their educational work. The permission to start the training college was obtained because of the pioneering efforts of Fr Aloysius Rebello s.j. The institution was known by different names P.T.C, S.T.C, D.Ed and Junior College of Education. Classes for the first year commenced from the 18 th of June 1943 followed by the second year from the 21 st of June 1943.
There were thirty-eight students in the first batch of first year while the second year had thirty seven students. At its inception the college comprised of three staff members, Fr Aloysius Rebello s.j was the first principal with Mr E.P Coelho and Mr. Joshi as faculty members. Due to lack of space classes were initially held at Papdy and in the year 1949 the college was shifted to Manickpur. The institution has just completed seventy-five years of imparting quality Teacher Education. More than 3000 teachers have graduated from the portals of this institution. The institution will continue in its efforts to empower teachers who will make a difference in the field of education in the years to come.